Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First Encounters

Captains Log, Day 1

Sup my fellow tree loving braj's! This is the first post on my blog. I'm only running on a few hours of sleep so we are going to take this otherwise BEASTLY, BADASS, SLAPYOMAMMAANDPUNCHYOURSISTA blog and make it MEDIOCRE and QUITE TIMID.

First of, I'd like to discuss the source of the water used in my microaquarium. It came from:

"French Broad River, Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge, Kelly Lane , Knox Co. Tennessee. Partial shade exposure French Broad River Water Shed N35 56.742 W83 41.628 841 ft 10/9/2011 Cladophora sp. alga in family Cladophoraceae" (Botany1112012.blogspot.com)

I chose this source, because, other than its unique geographic location, this wouldn't be the first time I have studied a French Broad. 'EY-OH.

Also in my microaquarium you will find parts of plants, these include:

"
Amblestegium sp. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 10/9/2011" (Botany1112012.blogspot.com)

AND:

"Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN."
 (Botany1112012.blogspot.com)

These plants, other than preventing anaerobic respiration inside the aquarium, also added a lot of color, and made it a much more hospitable for the bacterium. As of now I am trying to find a way to Feng-Shue a little two denominational castle in there for a little extra pizazz. Will keep you posted.

We then as a Class took sometime to observe the MicroAquarium. I didn't see much at first while observing under the microscope. Then, under the x10 lens, I was able to see one little guy, just a little single cell braj towards the bottom of my aquarium. He was staying almost completely in place, and just spinning around in place; not giving a damn. I watched this guy for like 20 min, and all he did was spin, and as he did it, the water visibly moved around him, because of the rate he was spinning. If he was a person, he might have said something like "Hey man, I'm just doing my thing, yall little water molecules need to step off."

Well that's all for this week, next week I will have a bunch of new observations, and I'm probably going to try to figure out a new name for the aquarium,. Maybe something like "20mL Under the Sea?" Again, I'll keep you posted.

Drew Hogan Signing Off!

No comments:

Post a Comment