Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Captains Log, Day 2

Checked out the little braj's in the depths of the Micro Aquarium. There was so much more to report! I started by observing the area around the new Beta food pellet that was placed inside the aquarium. At first I was a little upset because I couldn't see much. However, as I started to look around the aquarium, there was a plethora of life just doin' thur thang'!!!!!!!

One of the first things I observed was tons of simple Paramecium, a form of protozoa with cilla all crouded around one branch of Plant A. Than, as I looked more closely, it seemed they were all gathered around a round, colonial piece of green algae. It seemed to look like they were all moving around it, and even often times pushing up against it as if they were trying to go inside of it.

As I watched all of the action ensue, I noticed what I thought was another Paramecium, except this one was much wider than the rest, and had a tail!!!!! I ran up to the chart at the front of the class room and was able to identify this little Braj as a Rotifer!!!! He seemed to be a little more evolved than the rest of the specimen, so I followed him closely. Unfortunately, he didn't do anything exciting, so I stopped.

I saw many paramecium floating through the tank as I continued to observe, but nothing extraordinary seemed to happen. After a few more minuets I sealed up the Aquarium and head out. Overall I think this week was far more revealing than last week!

Until Next Time,
Andrew Hogan

No comments:

Post a Comment