Thursday, November 8, 2012

Captains Log, Day 3

This weeks observations were pretty heavily dominated by the appearance of one little guy in particular:
The same little guy from last week, the Rotifer.

As I began to view the Micro Aquarium through the x4 lens, I was able to see this Rotifer, as well as another one near by him, very clearly. They were moving back and fourth, seemingly anchored in place. As a I zoomed in closer with the microscope I saw that they were in fact anchored by a tale onto a piece of the plant.

I also noticed that he was moving back and fourth, and Ken told me that these little brajs eat other organism, using their large mandibles to pull particular organic detritus, dead bacteria, algae, and protozoans own into their stomach-like-organels.

As I continued to search around the Aquarium, I found numerous of these little Rotifers, feeding on other organisms. They were clearly the largest and most abundant organism I was able to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment